Skip to main content



Broadway United Methodist Church (Indianapolis, Ind.) records

Broadway United Methodist Church (Indianapolis, Ind.) records

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Broadway United Methodist Church (Indianapolis, Ind.) records LOC.2010.0080

Marion County, Ind.

Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism
11 E. Larabee Street
Greencastle, IN
765-658-4406
archives@depauw.edu



Profile Description

Creation: This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2017-08-11T11:28-0400
Language: Description is in English.

Repository: Archives of DePauw University and Indiana United Methodism
creatorBroadway United Methodist Church. (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Title: Broadway United Methodist Church (Indianapolis, Ind.) records
Dates: 1873-1977
Quantity: 0.43 Cubic feet, 1 document case
Identification: LOC.2010.0080
Language:

Collection Statement

The collection includes Aldersgate class history and rosters, historical records, directories, programs and clippings from the Centennial year celebration in 1973, newspaper clippings, "The Journal" of the Meth. Historical Library Inc., Jubilee summer program pamphlets, memorial service programs, miscellaneous events, mortgage burning celebration papers, programs, postcards, and a promotional booklet.


Historical Sketch

The first home of the Broadway congregation was a frame building on Yandes Street north of Tinker built in 1873. One of the lots on which it was built was donated by Stoughton A. and Ingraham Fletcher. The other lot was purchased by the Board of Trustees. Mr. Isaac Pattison provided $1700 of the $2700 cost of the building. The church was known as Ragweed Chapel because of the ragweeds that were strewn across mud and mire to make passage to the frame building possible, but the Broadway congregation was called Pattison M.E. Church.

In 1877, the original building was moved to a new site at Seventh and Bellefontaine. In 1883, this building underwent a major renovation at a cost of $5,000. The newly renovated church building was dedicated on Sunday, August 20, by Bishop Bowman. At that time the name of the congregation was changed from Pattison M.E. Church to Seventh Street M.E. Church.

In 1894, a wood frame church building was erected at the alley of the newly acquired property at the corner of 22nd and Broadway. The name of the congregation was changed to Broadway M.E. Church. This frame structure was later converted to a gymnasium and classrooms when the stone structure was built at the corner in 1908.

In 1908, the cornerstone was laid for the stone church building at 22nd and Broadway. By 1925, the growing Broadway congregation had outgrown its relatively new facility. When the opportunity arose to sell the church building to the Moravian Church, construction began on the present building on Fall Creek Parkway.


Broadway United Methodist Church. (Indianapolis, Ind.)

Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Usage Restrictions

Copyright interests for this collection are held by DePauw University or the United Methodist Church.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK