This collection includes images and documents related to the John H. Bass family. The Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration purchased land from the Bass family in 1944 to bring the university to Fort Wayne, Indiana, from Lafayette, Indiana. Brookside, the Bass family home, has been used in various capacities by the university since the purchase of the property.
During the early 1900s, John H. Bass was a leader in the industrial scene of Fort Wayne. He founded Bass foundry, helped organize the Fort Wayne Organ Company and the Citizens Street Railway Company, and served as the president of the First National Bank of Fort Wayne for thirty years. He built Brookside to serve as the family’s country home. Mr. Bass died in 1922.